Struggling with XSLT style sheet transformations? Always wanted to understand constructs used in stylesheets delivered by applications? Need to write transformations for some of your XML documents?
This course covers all aspects of W3C recommendations used for transforming documents. This course covers every element, every attribute, and every function needed to design and develop XSLT scripts. It also covers ways to efficiently navigate the available documentation and resources.
This course offers an intensive immersion into all aspects of stylesheet transformations. Plenty of lab exercises offer attendees time to implement topics learned.
This course offers to learn first hand from Mr G. Ken Holman, an internationally renowned trainer and expert that is participating at the forefront of XML standardization.
Users of applications that use stylesheet transformations. XML application developers that need to write transformation
stylesheets. This is a course for both beginners and experts on stylesheet transformation.
The following topics are covered in this course:
- The relation between XSL and XSLT.
- Transformation using XSL.
- Publicly available transformation tools.
- XML Path Language syntax (XPATH).
- The XPATH data model.
- XSL-Formatting Objects (XSL-FO).
- The XSLT transformation environment.
- XSLT Instructions.
- Advanced XPath and XSLT Expressions.
- Sorting and grouping.
- Write push and pull oriented style sheets.
- XML source tree traversal
- Using called templates and user-defined functions
- XSLT stylesheet management techniques
- XSLT numbering facilities
- using string, date and number functions
- building a table of contents
- advanced XSLT features.
Basic knowledge of using the Windows or Linux operating system in order to run the exercise environment.
Basic knowledge of XML concepts and the proficiency to write well-formed XML syntax (schema or DTD knowledge is
not a requirement).
A 5 day instructor-lead presentation delivered by an
acknowledged expert of the subject matter.
- This is an intensive class running 7 to 9 hours per day including the exercises, with homework assigned each night.
- Hands-on lab exercises are included to help understand the learned information.
- A student guide in print with all presentation slides and hand-on lab exercises that implement the skills learned.
- The student guide is also available to students in PDF format.
The course presentation and materials are in English only.
This course is technical in nature: level 4 (of 5).
Classroom is equipped with PC hardware. Systems are loaded with Windows. Linux is available in a VM environment. Student chooses preferred environment. 1 student per machine.
Students can choose to run the exercises and the PDF handouts on their own laptops if they wish.
Attendees may also be interested in CS141 Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO as a separately order-able hands-on
class that is scheduled to follow this XSLT/XPath class.